The 21st Century Is Here!

The 21st Century Is Here!
Got Gadgets? You've Come To The Right Place!

Monday, June 24, 2013

Me And My Smart TV

Within the last month, I have purchased a "smart" TV.  It's a 60 inch plasma TV made by Panasonic.  I had searched extensively for the right TV to replace my 2002, HD ready projection TV.  That TV worked fine and held it's own for well over a decade.  But it was time.

Now there has been extensive talk about the LCD and LED televisions.  They use less electricity, are thinner and are much lighter in weight than plasma TV's.  However, the plasma TV's still produce an excellent picture, cost less and their life spans are equal to most LED/LCD televisions - at over 100,000 hours of use. One added bonus - they have faster refreshing rates and therefore capture action motions much, much better than the lower and mid-level LED/LCD's.  For those of you who already own and LCD TV, like  I do in my upstairs bedroom, then you know what I'm talking about, when you have a slight picture breakup on action scenes.

As far as power consumption goes, I have florescent lights all over my house.  I have energy saving appliances, fixtures and electronic devices everywhere.  I just got rid of a projection style TV, which used a lot more power.  So no matter what - I know that I will still be seeing less electricity use with this energy star rated plasma TV.  The picture on it is nothing short of spectacular.  Deep blacks and bright contrasts.  I feel sorry for the modern actor or actress who skin blemishes can now be clearly seen...even past some of the makeup attempts to cover it.  Nothing like the TV I grew up watching movies and TV shows on.

The "smart" part of the TV comes in when I can watch Netflix, Hulu Plus, or Amazon Prime on it.  In addition, it has Internet based games and about 2 dozen other apps (and growing) that I can fiddle around with.  I can also synchronize my smart phone with the TV screen and watch my favorite YouTube videos, or wirelessly share my pictures or videos from my phone to the TV screen.  Amazing.

When I was growing up, being the youngest person in the house, I was always drafted to go stand by the television and move the "rabbit eared" portable TV antenna around to get better reception.  Today such family sacrifice has long been a thing of the past.  I guess there's nothing wrong with smartening up with modern times?

No comments:

Post a Comment