The 21st Century Is Here!

The 21st Century Is Here!
Got Gadgets? You've Come To The Right Place!

Saturday, January 5, 2013

My New Phone...a "Phablet"

What a busy, busy two and a half weeks I've had.  I helped a co-worker in his late 50's purchase and set up his first ever Android cell phone.  He was beyond amazed at how quickly it all came to him.  So was I.  Although he fakes being a senile older guy, he actually has a strong mechanical background.  So when I explained everything to him, I used (as best I could) mechanical terminology and comparisons where possible.  In a week's time, he went from using a 4 year old flip phone to an Android and was sending text messages, pictures, setting up wall paper, clocks, widgets, etc.  It was remarkable.  Good for him.

Then came my surprise on Christmas.  Actually, I received it a few days before Christmas in order to set it up for the week following Christmas.  I was given the Samsung Galazy Note 2.  I haven't taken my hand off the thing since I got it.  It is amazing.  I actually thought that I was going to not like making my everyday phone with such a big screen.  I had been thinking to get the original Galaxy Note to replace my iPhone 4 as it is starting to show it's "grey" hairs in it's processor.  I've had it for 2 1/2 years.  A lot has changed on the "app" landscape since it came out.  It doesn't handle the newer apps too well.  It's all a financial conspiracy anyway.   The more complicated and involved the application, the better the processor you will need to handle it. 

Anyway to my surprise, the wifey presented it to me.  I guess this makes up for me getting her the iPad 3?  Umm...okay.  I'll take it!

If you don't like squinting to look at your phone for reading, writing, dual screen viewing...well then folks the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 is your friend!  She's my friend.  I've hooked her up with all sorts of sound effects and whistles from various sci fy shows.  She breezes through her apps, doesn't really do major damage to her battery.  Any failures in that area have to do with me loading the kitchen sink of apps on her and now trimming them all back.

I have found that even when you purchase extended power batteries, they too eventually begin to burn out fast when you have a nut job, power user like me on them.  Within a year, they only last as long as a regular battery.  I can't tell you how many countless phones I've done that to. 

My only issue is that somewhere between Samsung/Jellybean/AT&T they put a freeze on you moving your apps to your SD card.  What the hell??   There's also this "miscellaneous" file on your phone storage that will take up to 5 or 6 gigabytes of memory.  It's supposed to be erasable, but I'm not quite sure.  The Android blogs are all over the place with this issue.  I don't think I'll be "rooting" my phone any time soon to get around this.

Either way, all this phone memory use adds up to your phone storage getting used up really fast.  Other than just inserting your SD card and your phone begins saving items to the card, GONE are the buttons where you actually can command your phone to move your apps to your card and off your phone.

Now I'm sure there's a gazillion of folks out there who have figured out a work around, but to us laymen - this is a real pain in the neck.  Should any of your run into this issue, be sure to share your work around.  As for me, I'm still reading up on it.  Again...I will not be rooting my phone if that is what's going to be necessary.

Lastly, in the past two and 1/2 weeks....screen size.  No...NOT my Galaxy Note 2 screen size.  It is really big...and really, really easy on the eyes.  Older eyes.  Younger eyes can stare at 2 and 3 inch screens all that they like.  To their hearts content.  Then when you start getting into 3.5 and 4.0 screens, now your talking my language - depending on your font size.  I'm most comfortable 4.5 sized screens and up.  Now my Galaxy Note 2 is huge at 5.3.  I love it!  Any fears I had about it's screen size being too big all went to the way side once my eyes got to view the screen and enjoy it's rich details, colors and contrasts. 

Well this past week I was lucky to witness two female friends over the age of 40, nearly cause their eyes to bleed to death trying to read on their mobile phone.  As of this writing only one of them purchased a large screen phone.

For now I'll just sit back and enjoy my Note 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment